The stained glass windows in the City/Parish church (contd.)
The depiction of the Philosophers Plato and Aristoteles in the Credo window is unique in German stained glass art, as is the Animal Cycle, of which only the two panes depicting an Eagle, Lion, Peacock and Ram survive. The choice of these unusual themes suggests the presence of intellectuals in Esslingen at this time, who influenced the donors in their choice of subjects.
The name Credo window comes from the various Apostle's creeds shown there. The Apostle's themselves are depicted together with the Virtues and Vices in the central sections of the window.
In the Martyr's window Saints and Martyrs stand in a row under Baldachins. The choice of the Saints is determined by the local religious calendar and by the connections of the church with France, for example the martyrdom of Bishop Leodegar of Autun. There are also scenes in the window which did not originally belong there, namely parts of a Christ Cycle. These were made about 70 years after those of Lampertus, but the style was adapted to the latter. Parts of the window had perhaps been destroyed in an accident, and were replaced with new panes, perhaps from the same workshop as the Mary window, made around 1300. The Master may well have been Konrad der Glaser, whose name is known from documents.
The Christ window also depicts scenes from Jesus' life. During the reconstruction of the choir around 1300, new panes were made in an Esslingen workshop, which were put in the new choir windows together with the earlier Lampertus panes. The outer sections, as with the Credo window, are filled with ornamental panes from the Franciscan church, which were brought here in 1899. Panes from this church had been used for centuries to repair damaged sections of the St.Dionysus windows.
The Mary window was also damaged and has been repaired with modern panes. Maria and various popular saints are depicted; Agnes, Margaret, Katharina, also Prophets, Apostles and the first church Patron Saint Vitalis. The design hints at a dating around 1300 in Esslingen for this window. The figures stand under Baldachins. This row of statues is reminiscent of the sculptures found over Cathedral Portals.
In another window, there are fragments of a Mary Cycle. The coloured glazing of the window tracery has not survived in the choir or nave.